We had a little scare yesterday. Actually, it wasn’t really a “scare” just a little showing of blood that I was advised to get checked at the hospital. So I went around noon and took Chloe with me, thinking we’d be there maybe an hour or two at most, but one test led to another and there was concern about a possible placental abruption. Strangely, I was also having contractions that began to slowly increase throughout the afternoon, although I couldn’t feel them. I only knew because they could see it on the monitor. A cervical check found I was one centimeter dialated and 30% effaced. So they asked me to stay overnight.

Thankfully, David left work early to come get Chloe so I didn’t have to keep an eye on her in the busy triage room with two other patients. The ipad kept her occupied for some of the time, but it was a distracting place. She naturally wanted to keep peeking around the curtains at the other women, especially since one had two slightly older kids who where watching Dora the Explorer loudly on TV. David and Chloe came back later for a short visit, and to bring me an overnight bag. I couldn’t help but joke that if I had a labor & delivery bag already packed, none of this would have happened.

Fast forward to about 10:30pm. I was feeling bored, lonely, uncomfortable (two fetal monitors around the belly, a scratchy wrist band on the right and an IV starter on the left) , not to mention very disappointed in the night’s episode of House, MD, when the evening Perinatologist came in for a last check. Everything seemed to be stablizing and he agreed that if I wanted to, I could go home. Yes please! So he signed my release form and I was home by 11pm. The only downside was that Chloe had a record number of night wakings, plus I was getting up almost every hour due to all the water they had me drink. Maybe I would have been better off sleeping at the hospital… nah!

So, today I’m supposed to be taking it really easy – lots of water, sitting with my feet up, not lifting anything (yeah right, with a two-year-old running around?), and keeping an eye on my contractions. I can feel them today, like a deep tightening of my abdomen, but they still don’t seem to hurt, which is good right? Maybe they’re just practice. Hopefully. I know a baby born at 34 weeks would be fine, but I’d rather baby boy stay and bake a little bit longer, just in case.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

9 thoughts on “Unprepared

  1. I’m glad to hear you are feeling better.

    A friend of mine had a miracle baby – born at 24 weeks. He is now almost two and has normal brain development!

  2. Oh my! Scary! I had way more of those tight tummy contractions with Julia & Caroline. You’re right, though, that little guy will be good whenever he comes.

  3. Sending some prolonging baking vibes… just a little longer little guy! Smiles and hugs to you all!

  4. They come when they come! And there you are, with a new baby! The timing and procedure don’t really matter in the end, just the little bundle of joy in your arms!

  5. Glad that you’re OK! The babies will be fine born around this time but I know what you mean by wanting them in there a little longer. Sometimes we’re just not prepared…but then again, are we ever? 🙂

  6. What a day! I hope you are alright now, and I strongly believe that contractions are just a practice, so that the labor will be easier. I keep fingers crossed. 🙂

  7. Wish you lots of (emotional) rest and relaxation — you and baby boy!

  8. Thinking of you! Hoping that you are doing well.

  9. Hi

    I just stumbled across your blog and it’s fantastic, I have bookmarked this one and will be coming to check on your new wonderful things again soon!

    thanks for sharing such beautiful things and good luck with the new baby

Leave a Reply